As I sit here typing, my roommate May is practicing Mad Men-era hairstyles on my innocent scalp. We’re having a Mad Men party in two weeks and certain someones are maybe a little overexcited. This sudden urge to drop out of college and go to beauty school has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that May has a huge stats exam tomorrow, I promise.
I really can’t talk though. I have about 100 pages of accrued reading on Russian peasant women in the 1860’s (helllooooo liberal arts degree) but can’t be bothered to open a single goddamn book. I could easily list half a dozen things I should be doing, but what I’m actually doing is trying my best to rap along to”Big Poppa.” I can smell Thanksgiving break this week and my mind is already sinking into a food coma, sleepily daydreaming of impending culinary and alcoholic bliss. The fact that I have a ballin’ new camera (!!!) isn’t helping either. To procrastination and cerebral deterioration, my friends.
Adapted from this recipe
- 1 3/4 cup flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cardamom
- 3/4 cup canned pumpkin (or fresh, blended)
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 “egg” (1 Tbs egg replacer or ground flax seed + 3 Tbs water)
- 1 Tablespoon soy milk
for cinnamon-sugar coating:
- 4 Tablespoons coconut oil, melted
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 Tablespoons cinnamon
Preheat oven to 350º
1. In a medium bowl, mix together dry ingredient: flour, baking powder, salt, and spices. In a separate bowl, stir the pumpkin, oil, “egg,” maple syrup, and soy milk. Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir to incorporate.
2. Lightly grease a mini muffin tray. Pour the batter evenly throughout the tray and pop in the oven for 12-14 minutes, or until a knife stuck in the center comes out clean. Set to cool. Combine cinnamon and sugar in a small bowl and mix.
3. Once cool, dip the donuts in oil and roll in the cinnamon sugar to coat. Pop in your mouth and procrastinate to your heart’s content!