Looze[r]day Tuesday is over, can I get a hallllllllelujah!? The caveat is that next week is gonna be the slow and painful descent from the sixth to the seventh circles of hell (spoiler alert: seventh circle is violence). Over the next two and a half weeks I have a dozen large projects/exams/presentations for which I have to dress “business casual” (REFUSING TO WEAR LADYBLAZERS). Think of me, friends, there should be a good amount of stress baking in my future, which means RECIPES galore.
To kick it off, here’s a meal in my Makin’ Dinner Wit May series (just made that series up, now that’s a thing). A few of the ingredients are a little out there (miso, thai basil, and Japanese eggplant should be available at an Asian grocer, if not at your normal grocery store). The dressing is sooooo garlicky and savory in the best way. Try this.
- 2 Tablespoons rice vinegar
- handful of sliced basil (thai)
- 1/2 teaspoon miso
- splash of grapeseed oil
- 1/2 clove garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ginger, minced
- 1 Japanese eggplant (or 1 small regular eggplant)
Preheat the oven to broil.
1. In a small bowl, combine all of the ingredients except the eggplant and stir well.
2. Slice the eggplant lengthwise and soak in cold water for 5-10 minutes. Place on a baking sheet and brush lightly with oil. Broil for 3-5 minutes each side. Remove from the oven, slice, then toss with the dressing. Add salt and pepper to taste.