Starting your last semester of college isn’t as emotional as it may sound. In place of figuring out my future or generally having my shit together, I’ve mainly been cooking and eating a lot while strategizing how many weeks I can go without doing my laundry, playing with Bruse, trying to finish a scarf I’ve been knitting for three years, coming up with offensive crayon color names, etc etc. With balmy Wisconsin temperatures like -5, 0, and 1º, I’ve become a Class A shut-in, but I’m okay with it. This gives me more valuable time to come up with solutions to the problems of the world and organize my clothes in rainbow order. While I still have your attention with my riveting life, I have a request for ya! Vote for me in Madison Magazine’s “Best of Madison 2013” contest. Click HERE and scroll or search for the “Food Blog” category. Write in “Veganizzm,” and press submit at the bottom! Das it. You can vote daily until Feb. 28, so vote often! Thanks lovies.
Kidney Bean Curry
- 1 Tablespoon olive or coconut oil
- 1-2 Tablespoons fresh ginger, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1/2 red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 8 oz can tomato sauce
- 1-2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon tumeric
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne or paprika
- 15 oz can kidney beans (1.5 cups cooked beans)
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro, for topping
1. Heat oil of choice in a pan over medium heat for 1-2 minutes, then add chopped ginger, garlic, onion, and bell pepper. Cook for a minute then add tomato sauce and all of the spices. For for 5 minutes, then add the kidney beans plus 1 cup of water. Cover the pan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low and leave to simmer for 10-12 minutes.
2. Remove from heat. Garnish with cilantro. Enjoy!