August has rolled around and the zuke are poppin’ off their vines like pills into Paula Abdul’s mouth. Time to squash your copious supplies of green while making your taste buds, friends, and family members love you fo’eva. Pop one of these puppies in the oven for some sweet, sweet “hey I’m still eating vegetables” summertime goodness.
All photos credit to Pati Mo!
Zucchini Walnut Bread
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup coconut or canola oil
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup soy milk or water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup grated zucchini (about 1/2 of a large guy!)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
Preheat the oven to 350º
1. Grease a loaf pan lightly with coconut or canola oil.
2. In a large mixing bowl combine the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and sugar and mix well. In a separate mixing bowl (or same one if you’re lazy!) combine the oil, soy milk, vanilla and fold in the zucchini. Mix until you have a smooth batter then sprinkle in the chopped walnuts.
3. Pour the batter into the greased pan and pop in the oven for 45-50 minutes, or until golden brown on top. Slice and serve with tea or a tall glass of soy milk.