Sometimes you need a cookie. A big one with oozing chocolate chips that you repeatedly burn your mouth on right when it comes out of the oven. Sometimes the roof of your mouth takes the hard hits. It happens.
Sometimes you need a cookie because you forgot to go to the gym. Some weeks you bike home in the rain and get mud and potentially animal feces all over the clothes you just washed for the first time in 5 weeks. Sometimes you judge your own hygiene and promise to do laundry more often.
Still other days you spend the whole Sunday in bed waiting to muster the energy to get on with your day and then the sun’s going down so it’s time to get back in bed. Some days you’re the windshield, some days you’re the multiple unidentifiable bugs smeared on Izzy’s clothes. [There are a lot of those today].
Anyway, when you need said cookie this is the one to turn to. It took a couple of tries but this recipe is perfected to cookie bliss. Pumpkin? Coconut? Chocolate? Soft doughy texture and melty chips? This cookie’s got it all. Well, all that’s good. Sometimes you need to treat yourself to all that’s good.
Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Coconut Cookies
Adapted from Nourishing Meals
Makes 2 dozen
- 1 cup softened virgin coconut oil (Earth Balance will work)
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1 Tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 Tablespoon blackstrap molasses
- 3 cups oat flour (oats food processed or blended until powdery)
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3/4 cup chocolate chips
Preheat oven to 350º
1. In a large bowl, combine coconut oil, pumpkin, brown sugah, vanilla, and molasses. Mix well until combined, then add the remaining ingredients. MIX. You should have a thick dough which holds together well- add a bit more molasses if it’s crumbly.
2. Roll the dough into spoonful-sized gobs and line them up on a lightly greased baking sheet. Top each of the cookies with a few extra chocolate chips. Trust me on this one.
3. Pop them in the oven for 12-14 minutes or until golden. Remove and set to cool 5-10 minutes. Or punish your mouth/ reward your stomach with instant gratification.