Have you ever had your dreams literally realized? If your dreams consist of skydiving with your preschool teacher, your crush, and Jodie Foster, for your sake, I really hope not. But tonight one of my dreams came true. You see, last week I had an impeccably and bizarrely precise dream about making kale pizza with four particular people. In the dream I even promised myself that if it were in fact a dream I needed to make it a reality, ANY MEANS NECESSARY. Thus was born the first pizza night of 2013. Nobody was killed in the making of this pizza.
My friends Anna, Grace, and Ben came over and we made this delicious-a$$ pizza, dough and everything. As it turns out, making your own dough only takes about an hour-ish and the only semi-weird ingredient is semolina flour, which isn’t even that goddamn weird! Ben is a good bread-makin’ man, so I shamelessly made him do that. The result? Dope delicious delectable dough THE D IS SILENT.
Sweet Potato, Kale, Caramelized Onion Pizza
Dough recipe from Two Peas and Their Pod
- 2 1/4 teaspoons rapid rise yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- pinch o’ sugar
- 1 3/4 cups semolina flour
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, chopped
- 2-3 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup kale, chopped
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce or paste
- 1 Tablespoon rosemary
- 1 red onion, sliced
For de dough:
- Combine yeast and 1 cup warm water in a small bowl. Add a pinch of sugar and let sit for 5 minutes.
- In a large bowl (or standing mixer if you’ve got one!), add semolina flour, all-purpose flour, and salt. Mix the ingredients until combined.
- Add the yeast mixture to the flour mixture. Add 1 Tablespoon olive oil and mix until combined. Knead for about 5 minutes on a counter surface.
- Grease a large bowl with a bit of olive oil. Form dough into a ball and place in the bowl. Cover pizza dough with a damp towel and set in a warm area to rise (near preheating oven is ideal!). Let the dough rise for 1 hour or until dough has roughly doubled in size.
For de toppings:
- Preheat the oven to 400º. Line a cookie sheet with foil and spread the chopped sweet potato, drizzled with 1-2 Tablespoons olive oil. Pop in the oven for 35-40 minutes, or until soft. Remove and set aside.
- In the meantime, place a frying pan over low heat and add sliced red onion and ~1 Tablespoon olive oil. Cover, and set to simmer for 30-35 minutes. Remove and set aside.
- Once the dough has risen and the sweet potatoes and onions are ready, turn the oven up to 500º. If you have a pizza stone, place the pizza stone in the oven to get hot. If not, get out a cookie sheet. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the dough using a rolling pin. Lightly brush the dough with olive oil and place on the pizza stone or cookie sheet.
- Top the pizza with sauce (or paste) and sprinkle with rosemary. Layer the sweet potato, onions, and top with kale. Place in the oven to bake at 500º for 8-10 minutes, until the crust crisps up. Remove and set to cool. Enjoy!